1 Loaf firm Itailian-style bread
12 smoked bacon strips, cooked
6 slices Cheddar Cheese (each about 2 inches square at room temp)
6 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons of butter or margerine
1. Slice off 1 end from the loaf of bread. To form bread pockets, use a serrated bread knife to cut a slit in bread.
2. Continue cutting pockets and slices into the loaf.
3. Wrap 2 slices around 1 cheddar, making sure the cheese is completely covered; insert into the pocket of 1 bread slice. Repeat with remaining bacon, cheese and bread pocket.
4. Preheat oven to 500 F, (260 C)
5. In medium bowl, beat together eggs and milk until will blended. Pour half of the egg mixture into a 13 x 19 x 2-inch baking pan. Place 6 of the bread slices in the egg mixture. Turn slices and let stand until egg mixture is absorbed. Place on heavily buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining egg mixture and bread slices.
6. Bake for 6 minutes. Turn slices. Spread with butter, if desired. Continue baking until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze for later use.
To freeze: Cool toast slices on wire rack. Return to baking sheets. Freeze in single layer 1-2 hours. Wrap in individual-serving portions or stack slices and wrap. Return to freezer. Store up to 1 month.
To serve frozen toast: Reheat single servings in toaster or place unwrapped slices on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated 375 F (190 C) oven until hot, about 8-10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Hope Ellard, owner of Simply Southern Catering